- stanza six of I'm Not Like Other Girls by Madeline.
it's a great poem you ought to take the time and read it i mean you're already reading my blog which is a massive waste of time
I really hate the term "girly girl" because um?? yeah I'm a girl who is a girl????? when did that become a derogatory term among little kids?
during elementary school "you're such a girly girl" was the biggest insult ever like whoops sorry for being a female
feminity is associated with shallowness and that is sO RIDICULOUS UGH. .. .... yeah I care about how I look that doesn't mean i'm a freaking idiot.
i'm not sorry for wanting to appear decent, and i'm not sorry for carrying a hairbrush in my backpack, and i'm not sorry for wearing skirts.
why can't I take on the world while simultaneously looking cute as heck? I don't see a problem with that.
and I don't feel quite knowledgeable about feminism or misogyny or other worldly issues at all, but i definitely do not view feminism as about the assimilation of genders, but rather about appreciating the diversity humanity has to offer and not assuming superiority as a result of these differences.
also, to reduce the gender gap as well. it's not okay for "girl" to be a negative adjective can we change that please
some links to more awesome fierce feminist stuff:
- THESE GIRLS SLAY. I've watched it at least five times oopsy daisy~
- the real meaning of barbie, beyond her "impossible measurements"
- even santa perpetrates these stereotypes
- cambridge university students on why feminism is needed
- Anna Lieberman is so empowering wow